As I didn't get the chance to see David McVicar's production of Carmen at Glyndebourne first time round, I jumped at the chance of seeing it on tour at Glyndebourne. Katherine Rohrer was a feisty Carmencita with acting skills to match. Yonghoon Lee made a powerful Don José, though he could work on his tender passages and acting skills a bit more. Needless to say, David McVicar's direction brought the drama to life - the "dinner" between Carmen and Don José in Act 2, the barren yet atmospheric Act 3 and the final stabbing scene were all riveting.

Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment