There is so much music in Salome, it was a wonderful to hear all the details in concert. Donald Runnicles conducted the fine Deutsche Oper Berlin (did they bring all those big drums with them?) Nina Stemme was a poised Salome: from being a more hesitant, almost innocent girl to an intense monster in the space of just 90 minutest. Her final monologue was stupendous. Burkhard Ulrich was super as Herod - every line and nuance was believable.

Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment