The singers: Franco Fagioli as Idamante was pretty good - full of drama. Matthew Polenzani was a profound Idomeneo. And under the baton of Marc Minkowski, this Mozart set piece came to life musically. As for the production, I wasn't convinced by Annette Murschetz's set design, nor Martin Kušej's direction (the whole Nepture / Wedding scene just didn't work). Next.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment