A very grand opera indeed. David McVicar put much realism in this production of Andrea Chénier - all the details of a turbulent time in Paris. Jonas Kaufmann and Eva-Maria Westbroek were a perfect match - exquite voices with superb acting. And Pappano gave his very best in the pit. Let's hope we don't have to wait for another 30 years again.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment