Not been to the Globe for a while. And not seen As You Like It for a long time. The performance was ok - most (not all) of the words were clear. I think the actors spoke too fast. In particular, "Seven Ages of Man" was a little lost through poor delivery. Also, bit of accent disparity occurred - one of the actors had a strong West Country accent which jarred with everyone else's.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment