Skip to main content

Jenůfa at the ENO

I thought I was going to write about how Amanda Roocroft gave a fab performance of the title role Jenůfa, or how well the orchestra played the often demanding Janáček's score can be.
But no, it's far more exciting telling you how - during the interval, the stage crew positioned the necessary props onto the front of the stage area, and I noticed the safety curtain was slowly coming down (often the case for safety purposes) thinking "I hope they realise the new props are in the way".
Oh no, they did not. The safety curtain continued its journey and we heard a horrific ripping / crashing noise as it started to chop into the stage prop demolishing half of it like a guillotine!
0610eno_1



Those who remained in the auditorium had their jaws on the floor - and then there was nothing, nobody came out for a good 5 minutes while we all pondered what's going to happen next. Eventually, the stage hands raised the safety curtain, dragged the chopped of bits of staging in and no doubt did some frantic repair. The interval was elongated to accommodate any remedial activities and everyone cheered when the repaired staging reappeared 5 minutes before Act II.


What was enjoyable? Amanda Roocroft's convincing role and singing, good orchestral playing.


What was not enjoyable? The male cast could have been more "in the role".



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogues des Carmélites at the Royal Opera

Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.

Xuan Spa, Park Hyatt Saigon

After a long day on my feet travelling from frantic Bangkok to Saigon, I very much looked forward to a relaxing massage before going to bed. The Xuan Spa was a very pleasant surprise. The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere of the spa was tranquil - a world away from the screaming mopeds on the streets outside. The therapy room was big, with an en suite shower and lovely foot bath. The massage was good - classical Swedish - and at a leisurely pace. Subsequently I had a very good night's sleep.

Aqua Nueva serving up some hot Spanish snacks in London

It's just about a month old when Aqua opened in London. And yes, it's the same Aqua as the one on No 1 Peking Road. Well, the entrance on Argyll Street makes a bit of a statement - crimson velvet decor with a sleekly dressed receptionist guiding you to the lift. When you get to the top floor, it opens out into a series of bar and dining areas. My destination was Aqua Nueva - the Spanish part of this drinking-dining complex. That meant I was guided along an atmospherically lit corridor before I got to the the restaurant. It's well lit with a terrace looking out to a roof top terrace. Unlike Aqua in Hong Kong where it has the spectacular harbour view, the London one only looks out to a roof-top view. Rather than wading through the tapas and a la carte menus, I just asked the maitre d' to bring a selection of their tapas. I was pleasant surprised by the delicate croquette of mushrooms, lightly cooked octopus, braised pork, San Pietro fillets, Manchengo topped tortilla a...