It used to have 3 Michelin stars, now it has two, but the food and service is still remarkably good and friendly. Le cinq is still one of my favourites in Paris - where the dining room is sumptuous without being over-bearing, the service is first rate without being intrusive, the food remains inventive while reflecting diners' trend towards lighter dishes.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment