At very short notice, I booked a table at the Tate Modern restaurant (Level 7) for lunch with a friend from Amsterdam. I was given a river view table. The Crab tarte was delicious and the Beouf Bourguignon with celeriac mash was lush and tasty. The bill came to £20 per head which was a bargain!
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment