Skip to main content

Skylon is still a fun place

I first went to Skylon in May 2007 as it opened with the refurbished Royal Festival Hall courtesy Allies and Morrison. While I have been back quite a few times for cocktails and drinks at the bar, I have not had a proper dinner there for a while until last night.

The restaurant is still nicely laid out alongside the bar (in the centre) and brasserie (opposite end) in this vast space. It still offers one of the best river views in London. The menu continues to offer Modern British fare. My sweetbread has a nice texture sitting alongside a fresh bed of salad.

Food and Drinks IMG_0618
My entrecote (shared with my fellow dining companion) was
beautifully done - nice salted crust on the outside, tender and
succulent inside. The service was  attentive without being
over-bearing. Four of the six of us ordered Baked Alaska - think meringue encasing the tri-colour ice cream served with a Grand Marnier flame. All was consumed with much enthusiasm.



Comments

  1. Hin Yan, don't agree with you about Skylon being a particularly nice fine dining place(anymore). Found it depressingly noisy last time I was there admittedly wanting a relaxed and comforting Friday night treat, but I must say that the food was at variance with the bad furniture and clientele. The food was GOOD (notwithstanding a piss-poor pumpkin rissotto with grilled parmigiano (yuk). found tha it was the wine service that most impressed - a commendable Barbera D'Alba.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogues des Carmélites at the Royal Opera

Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.

Xuan Spa, Park Hyatt Saigon

After a long day on my feet travelling from frantic Bangkok to Saigon, I very much looked forward to a relaxing massage before going to bed. The Xuan Spa was a very pleasant surprise. The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere of the spa was tranquil - a world away from the screaming mopeds on the streets outside. The therapy room was big, with an en suite shower and lovely foot bath. The massage was good - classical Swedish - and at a leisurely pace. Subsequently I had a very good night's sleep.

Aqua Nueva serving up some hot Spanish snacks in London

It's just about a month old when Aqua opened in London. And yes, it's the same Aqua as the one on No 1 Peking Road. Well, the entrance on Argyll Street makes a bit of a statement - crimson velvet decor with a sleekly dressed receptionist guiding you to the lift. When you get to the top floor, it opens out into a series of bar and dining areas. My destination was Aqua Nueva - the Spanish part of this drinking-dining complex. That meant I was guided along an atmospherically lit corridor before I got to the the restaurant. It's well lit with a terrace looking out to a roof top terrace. Unlike Aqua in Hong Kong where it has the spectacular harbour view, the London one only looks out to a roof-top view. Rather than wading through the tapas and a la carte menus, I just asked the maitre d' to bring a selection of their tapas. I was pleasant surprised by the delicate croquette of mushrooms, lightly cooked octopus, braised pork, San Pietro fillets, Manchengo topped tortilla a...