New production yes. What's to like? It's three dimensional with top notch projection to make scenery changes interesting yet unobtrusive. Barihunk Mariusz Kwiecień (which translates to Matthew April) was a fabulous Don. The rest of the cast was good too. What's not to like? I think Kasper Holten's production was trying too hard for a different interpretation - that the whole opera was just a dream in the mind of the characters. A good night's entertainment it was. Though not an interpretation of this classic that I buy into.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment