Tapas in Soho is nothing new. There are plenty. Barrafina, which opened earlier in 2007, offers a posh venue for eating tapas. The sherry menu was good value. The food menu is well chosen - and all the dishes were well presented without being fussy. The place comprises a long bar with stools and standing places behind does not encourage punters to stay too long - which is good - though it could have a few more standing places for those who are merely passing through.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment