It's always a joy to see the fruit of a creative company such as Shakespeare's Globe. This production of A Midsummer Night's Dream was full of wonderful character portraits and playful direction. The fairies' costumes were off-landish in contrast with the more classical fineries that the rest of the actors wore. It was also a pleasant surprise to see Siobhan Redmond as Hippolyta / Titania who was such a great trolley-dolly as "Shona" in the sitcom The High Life.
Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.
Comments
Post a Comment