Skip to main content

Pleasant surprises at Hibiscus

There are times when one wants certainty when eating out - such as a light fritto misto at Polpo, or beautiful pied du cuchon at Koffmann's. But there are times when one wants to be surprised. If it's the latter that you are after, then try Hibiscus of Regent Street. Rather than choosing from an a la carte menu, or a tasting menu, the diners have to select whether they wish to eat 4, 6 or 8 courses. The dishes that could appear on your table are listed - that's right you wouldn't know for certain which dish will turn up.

So here is a scallop with crumble on top. They were the huge and hand-dived from Scotland. The crust on top added interest but did not detract from the taste of the sea that the scallop offered. Another dish that came was pan-seared smoked duck breast (see below). It was cooked just right with beetroot garnish and spices. It was tender and flavourful. 
The portions were (too) generous, the service was good, the wine list was interesting, and the ambiance was just right. So go there and be surprised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dialogues des Carmélites at the Royal Opera

Michael Levine's set design for Dialogues des Carmélites was minimalist. Actually, was there any set design? I suppose the director Robert Carsen was clever at introducing formation of human figures in many different ways to suggest the context of the opera. It kind of worked. Blanche, sung by Sally Matthews, was pretty good. Though I did find the whole work quite tedious - I think the intimate nature of the dialogues needed a small and intimate performing space i.e. not the Royal Opera House. The ending was worth waiting for. Dramatic. Poignant.

Xuan Spa, Park Hyatt Saigon

After a long day on my feet travelling from frantic Bangkok to Saigon, I very much looked forward to a relaxing massage before going to bed. The Xuan Spa was a very pleasant surprise. The staff was very friendly and the atmosphere of the spa was tranquil - a world away from the screaming mopeds on the streets outside. The therapy room was big, with an en suite shower and lovely foot bath. The massage was good - classical Swedish - and at a leisurely pace. Subsequently I had a very good night's sleep.

Aqua Nueva serving up some hot Spanish snacks in London

It's just about a month old when Aqua opened in London. And yes, it's the same Aqua as the one on No 1 Peking Road. Well, the entrance on Argyll Street makes a bit of a statement - crimson velvet decor with a sleekly dressed receptionist guiding you to the lift. When you get to the top floor, it opens out into a series of bar and dining areas. My destination was Aqua Nueva - the Spanish part of this drinking-dining complex. That meant I was guided along an atmospherically lit corridor before I got to the the restaurant. It's well lit with a terrace looking out to a roof top terrace. Unlike Aqua in Hong Kong where it has the spectacular harbour view, the London one only looks out to a roof-top view. Rather than wading through the tapas and a la carte menus, I just asked the maitre d' to bring a selection of their tapas. I was pleasant surprised by the delicate croquette of mushrooms, lightly cooked octopus, braised pork, San Pietro fillets, Manchengo topped tortilla a...